Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The 31's in my life



It's my  31st birthday. I think how appropriate it would be to post what I have have observed in my 31 years of life.
  1. Love everyone, even your enemies. (My 8 year old reminded me of this recently.)
  2. Playing the piano is a huge stress reliever. However, relearning to play the banjo is not.
  3. My husband really is the greatest guy. I hope my boys grow up just like him.
  4. Having a family is the greatest blessing
  5. Be nice to your sisters, they become your best friends later in life.
  6. Pedicures are SO worth the money.
  7. Go ahead and eat dessert. Tomorrow is never certain.
  8. I will not surprise my husband by temporarily dying my hair darker. He is NOT a fan. (Even though it washed out, he made it VERY clear...God created me blond for a reason.)
  9. You can never have too many shoes.
  10. Or handbags.
  11. Watching my kids' play games really is the best sports to watch.
  12. KU basketball is a close second.
  13. Families are Forever...but they take a tremendous amount of work...but it's so worth it.
  14. Writing is a lost art. I appreciate the letters I receive weekly from my grandmother. (And I'm glad it inspires me to write back.)
  15. Having kids do chores is not punishment, but rather responsibility. I'm glad my mother taught me how to clean a house.
  16. Cash is the best way to pay for ANYTHING. (Yes, even cars. Ask my husband who has been saving up for several years now for the new Camaro.)
  17. A good allergy medicine is worth every penny.
  18. Laughing so hard you can't breath & think you might pass out is something everyone must experience.
  19. The simple sincere words "I Love You" can erase a bad day's events.
  20. Always buy good hair product...it shows.
  21. A smile and laugh are contagious.
  22. The 10 hour flight to Hawaii is worth every moment your butt cheeks are numb on the plane.
  23. The date nights my husband plans bi-weekly are something I hope we always do.
  24. I learned to ride a motorcycle at 18; and I tell our daughter there is no way in heck she's learning that young. (Even though right now she can ride a dirt bike w/o incident.)
  25. (Advice my mother gave me and now I give to our daughter:) Date the kind of boys you would marry. NEVER lower your standards; always be the one to raise yours to meet his.
  26. Loving yourself is a hard battle sometimes.
  27. Reading the scriptures daily is something I want to thank my mom for teaching me to do.
  28. Apologize when you're wrong, even when it's hard. Too many friendships are strained or lost because someone (ME!) didn't do this.
  29. Family vacations may cause us to sacrifice for a few months in order to pay for it. Very rarely does anyone complain because we know it will so be worth it. And it always is.
  30. My grandpa was the best blues grass player ever. (Banjo, harpsichord, Dobro, bass, guitar...you name it he played it...WELL.)
  31. I will never stop learning. (And for this, I'm grateful.)

1 comment:

  1. I agree that piano playing relieves major stress. I couldn't tell you about the banjo. I've never tried that one. I did learn some violin in Jr. High school.

    I died my hair dark once in my life and nobody liked it, husband included! Now I'm getting old enough that the dark (and grays) are growing in.

    I had to smile when we got an email from one of our missionary sons thanking me for teaching him the importance of cleanliness. He sure wished his companion had learned a little more of it.

    We have a motorcycle in the garage and my hubby rides it often. I think all the boys would crack up if mama attempted to learn how to ride it. I think I'm too big of a chicken anyway.

    Well, Happy 31st Birthday you young spring chicken. I hope you had a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Happy thoughts from my friends