Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A Stronger Woman

I love Jewel. Her music is beautiful, fun and well many times speaks of my life. She also has a BEAUTIFUL name. My Grandmother's name. I planned to name my first daughter Jewel in memory of my Grandmother. I remember as a little girl always wanting to have three kids. Always wanting my Jewel. By the age of 20 I was uncertain I would be able to have any children.

By the Grace of God, He has blessed me with three beautiful children. One daughter. Two sons. I got my Jewel! However, my daughter's name is not Jewel, she is my jewel! You see, God's plan for me only consisted of being able to have one baby. The other two were wedding gifts! I am extremely blessed to have inherited my oldest children through my marriage. Because their mother chose life for them, I am able to fulfill my deepest wish of having three babies! (They would throw a fit if they knew I called them babies.) I'm not going to lie, it's also a bonus to have become friends with their mom.

Back to my jewel. I was listening to the radio this afternoon and Jewel's song "Stronger Woman" came on. I think this is the first time I really listened to the lyrics. I remember saying out loud, "No Way!" I liked part of the lyrics, and part of them I want to just scream to all daughters out there, "She's wrong, don't listen!" Let me unwind and explain.

(Lyrics)
"Well from now on I'm going to be
The kind of woman I'd want my daughter to be,
oh I'm gonna love myself more than anyone else
Believe in me, even if someone can't see
A stronger woman in me
I'm gonna be my own best friend
Stick with me till the end
I won't lose myself again, never, no
'Cause there's a stronger woman,
A stronger woman in me"

Here are my reservations. If you ask our daughter who her best friends are, God is in that list. Ask her if she has ever lost herself in The Word or Him, she'll say yes. I've witnessed it first hand. So has her mother. It is amazing! I wish this for all you mothers out there. (And all you daughters, PLEASE search fervently in Him for this! It's so worth it!) I believe it is impossible to be a stronger woman within ourselves without Him. And we can not be our own best friend. Not if we're honest with ourselves.

There is a part of the song I do agree with. I do want to be the kind of woman I'd want our daughter to be. Oh, I'm working on it. I am definitely a work in progress. No worries though. I have a great best friend and He is working overtime on me to help me become a true Stronger Woman. And my jewel is worth it!

2 comments:

  1. What a great post...I wish I could be the woman I'd want our daughters should be. I think about that all the time. I want so much for them to be BETTER. Thanks for the push today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post Jackie! I was listening to Beth Moore yesterday and she talked about this very thing! The choices we make today become the choices our children make in the future so start making the choices you want them to make!

    So true!!!

    We are blessed with Jordan. She is such a great girl and does love Jesus with all her heart! What an amazing young lady she is indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Happy thoughts from my friends