Thursday, February 26, 2009

Covered in sheet rock dust

"¡Soy cubierto en el polvo de piedra de hoja y yo necesito una manicura!"

I've been working on my spanish, and with a little help from my friend Athena I was able to say (let's be honest...type!) "I'm covered in sheet rock dust and I need a manicure!"

Any of you ever started a home improvement project, only to add to it along the way? Well, that's exactly what we did, or more accurately, what we're doing. We own a two-story with an unfinished basement. The basement has been reserved for the workout room and the kids' free space. Recently we decided to just put up sheet rock, that's it, nothing more than sheet rock. Besides, our house is 2400 sq ft, it's not like we need the extra room "finished" it would just be nice not to see the insulation.

So we did it, we got all the sheet rock put up. But somewhere along the way we decided to go ahead and see if we could make tape masters out of ourselves. "Vaya!" (Oh boy!) We were in for a good time I'll tell you that much. Taping is not something you can read how to do and master it. No. Not quite that easy. It takes practice...lots of it. We are hopeful to finish up the final sanding on the taping/mudding tomorrow. I would love to finish it tonight, but our daughter is in the Pit Orchestra for her school play and we have the joy of seeing this tonight.

Did I mention we decided to paint too? This part I love! Rich left it all up to me on the color. I chose Stonington for the walls and concrete. We are leaving the beams exposed for the time being. We want to do additional electrical in our garage which would require access to the ceilings. So what to do with the beams??? You guess it. I'm painting them, a lucious chocolate color! I created a virtual 4d of what it will look like w/ painted beams and I love it! I may just leave it exposed who knows.

So as I said earlier, I need a manicure but it will just have to wait for another day.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the bloggernacle...not to be confused with tabernacle!
    Thanks for visiting my chaser blog...it's going to be a blast chasing that temple!

    ReplyDelete

Happy thoughts from my friends