I figure it is about time I finally write about my unbelievable Outer Banks Marathon experience. Unbelievable, that is truly the one single word that can sum up my journey over TwentySix.Two miles. Before I can tell you all about the race, I feel I need to tell you all what it took to prepare for that beautiful November day in the Outer Banks.
I started my marathon training the third week of May. For those of you who have done a full marathon, you know that it puts an enormous strain on your social life. It is also a huge commitment. I must commitment time, energy and money...money for entry fee at the very least. I was also due for new shoes too. I must also acknowledge that I will not be able to "hang" with friends late on a Friday night, as my long runs were on Saturday morning. During the summer I would be out the door at 5am hitting the pavement just to avoid the dreaded summer heat and humidity.
It also meant not being able to continue competing in drag racing for the 2010 season. Most races are on Saturdays, and well, I need Saturdays for training. This was a really tough decision as my husband would still be racing. My husband is a fabulous racer. His car is MUCH faster than mine (8 seconds in 1/4 mile), and I have only missed watching him race a handful of times in the 12 years we've been together. In order for me to make it to the races to watch him compete I would have to get up even earlier on race days...sometimes 4am if it was an out of town race. I am happy to report I was able to make it to all the races to watch him win almost all of them. :)
For training I used the same plan I've used before. It was a plan I found in a Runner's World article years ago, I just tweaked it a little, especially the day I chose for my long run days. (They suggested Sunday, I preferred Saturday.) I have friends who have followed Hal Hidon's plans and done great. If you are looking to start training, I strongly encourage you to ask your running friends what worked for them. Also ask them what they didn't like about it; this may help save you some frustration. I have been a runner for many years, ever since high school. With that said, there have been *seasons* of my life where I have not run, either by choice or due to physical inabilities. Surgeries have sidelined me before, such as when I had shoulder & back surgeries and then there was my wonderful hysterectomy. BEFORE you start running, PLEASE clear it with your physician. And when you have the *all clear* signal pat yourself on the back. In fact pat yourself on the back twice...to include once from me!
I love running because it allows me to set the tone and environment. I can run in my neighborhood, or I can take it to the park and run trails. Mostly I love that no run is ever a duplicate. The conditions, scenery and how you feel will always be different. This is wonderful! Especially when you've had an off day of running, you KNOW it will be different/better next time. You can choose to run with music or silent, you can run alone or with a partner, you can also choose what time of day to run. (Although if you run in the dark I strongly encourage you to run with reflective clothing.)
Gear is essential. Cute gear is emotionally essential. For me anyways. I have big feet. Size 11D in running shoes. I told you they were big. I know many people who want to run out to the local discount shoe store or the big mega sport store; before you do this, invest an hour of your time at a local running store. This will be worth your time I promise. If you currently have a pair of running shoes bring them with you. They will evaluate the wear on your shoes, and they will have you walk on a treadmill to see your foot pattern. From there they will fit you with the best type of shoe (i.e.-cushion, stability, neutral). Most friends that finally went and were fitted for running shoes tell me the feel SO much more comfortable when they run. One friend's back pain was eliminated. Another one's shin splints went away. I log only 300 miles on a pair of shoes, then I retire them. I've been lucky that all the styles that work for my foot, have always had cute colors! I wish you the same luck!
Buy workout gear that excites you. I know this sounds silly, but if you feel good it shows. My husband told me that my attitude was different when I had on my old *ugly* workout gear. So he made me donate them and he took me shopping. He was right, my attitude changed. I believe the most important piece of clothing you will buy is THE BRA! INVEST IN THE BREASTS LADIES! I was told once that $50 was too much to spend on a sports bra, I beg to argue. I have two of these *expensive* bras. They are worth every.single.penny! These too can be purchased at a running store.
I get hungry & thirsty while running. Remember hydration during long runs is extremely important. I was running ALL over my beautiful town of Historical Liberty. I could not leave bottles of water along my route, so it required that I bring water with me. I experimented with different waste carriers (FuelBelt & Nathan), and I concluded that the Nathan brand was my favorite. It allows me to have 22 oz of water, and the water bottle is carried on my back. My route ran along my church so I would stop and refill it at the water fountain. This was great, especially on my long runs. I would have a GU shot as I was approaching church so I could chase it with water. (Remember to ALWAYS hydrate when having energy gels!) My personal experience is that I must eat immediately after running if I have had energy shots. If I don't I get tummy issues...'nuff said.
My last piece of advice on gear would be a SpiBelt. I. Love. Mine! I wear it with my Nathan water belt. It holds my cell phone, inhaler, gum (I always run with gum!), a few dollars (in case I have to stop for a water bottle), and my pepper spray. Yes I run with pepper spray. Over the years I have run into a few dogs that have required a spray. I was bit once and I know that the spray is the only thing that stopped the dog from further biting me.
If you are not sure what route to start with in your neighborhood, I strongly encourage going to Map My Run. For safety purposes I would encourage you NOT to save your entries. (You do not need strangers being able to enter your zip code and see your starting position, usually your home address. Be safe online guys/gals!) You simply enter your address, drag and click the mouse along the streets in your neighborhood, and it tells you exactly how far you will run. I use this website whenever I am running a new route. I leave the website open and up on the computer (usually with the window minimized), that way my husband knows exactly where I will be running. Just an added level of safety.
If you are looking for a way to journal your workouts, you may want to consider Daily Mile. I have an account and love it. I am able to update my workouts from my phone or a computer. It keeps track of all my total mileage. Each workout I can enter the distance, time, comments about how I felt or how the run went. You are then able to refer back to it at any time. It's great to look back and see how much stronger you've become and the distance you are now able to cover. :)
I have rambled on and on, and hopefully have given some of you useful information if you are considering starting a running adventure. I will follow this post with a separate one about the OBX Marathon and my unbelievable experience there. Waddle on friends!
You guys are a pretty cool couple. Drag racing. Marathon racing. Sheesh.
ReplyDeleteI'm impressed. Seriously.
In a big way.
=)
Such great tips. You almost have me motivated to give it a try again.
ReplyDeleteI'm so jealous. There are no more marathons in my future. Sigh. It's such a high--I can only compare it to labor/delivery.
ReplyDeleteLucky!
Wow!! What a ton of information that I didn't even think of. Your tips are super wonderful and I will definitely use them.
ReplyDeleteI hope training on a treadmill at the gym is adequate enough for now because I have no desire to be out in the frigid Utah temperatures right now.