My dear friend Cheryl brought an interesting challenge to my attention, The 10 Day Body Image Challenge presented by BYU Women's Services. Today's quote is amazing. It speaks to my heart in SO many ways. It applies to my life in MANY more ways.
"No one of us is less treasured or cherished of God than another. He loves each of us-insecurities, anxieties, self-image, and all. he doesn't measure our talents or our looks; He doesn't measure our professions or our possessions. He cheers on every runner, calling out that the race is against SIN, not against each other."
-Jeffery R. Holland.
As you know I'm weeks away from my marathon that I have been training for since my birthday in May. (Yes, the way to this girls heart is by means of marathon entry fees...isn't my hubby the greatest at gift giving? He listens and acts on small comments I made. Ok, I digress, back to the subject at hand.) During my training I have encouraged several friends to start running again; and a few to begin running for the first time in their life. Some have stuck with it, while others have been injured or just simply mentally burned out with it.
The other day a close friend made the comment, "I bet & hope my marathon finish time is better than yours." To that I simply said, "I hope it is then. You obviously feel you need to beat me; and if it makes you happy knowing your time beat mine because you had to then I'm sad for you too." She was confused, processed what I said, then simply apologized. She stated it should not be a race against each other, our time we spend together running should be to LIFT each other up...not tear each other down. Isn't that what we really do when we let the competition get the best of us? We tear each up other apart, piece by piece, something with just a tiny little comment. I think my lovely friend just realized this RACE we're in is life...not 26.2 miles.
I am running The KC half marathon this weekend. Before you go and think I'm crazy, it is in my training schedule and will be my long run for the weekend. With that said I am wanting to keep it at a s-l-o-w pace since my marathon is just weeks away. I've made the mistake before by running a great half weeks before my full... and then my full marathon suffers. So while I anticipate a 2.5 hour finish time I really hope we have more fun together on Saturday more than anything else.
You see, I have a few friends who will be running their very first organized run this Saturday at The KC Marathon. Some will run a 5k, a few will be running the half marathon, and two friends are trying their legs at running the full marathon....all running these distances for the.first.time! My stepkids are excited as their mom will be running her first half marathon Saturday; something I know she has had on her "bucket list" for years. How exciting for my kids to see their mom work hard for this and see it executed!
So friends, whatever RACE you are currently doing in your life; may it be filled with friends who will help you reach the ultimate goal...eternal life.
Blessings (and good luck to all my fellow runners)!
Jackie
Good luck!
ReplyDeleteI hope you all have a wonderful time Saturday!
ReplyDelete=)