Today our little man started 4th grade. Summer break is already over. We just said good-bye to one more "First Day of School" morning rituals. Then it hit me, next year is fifth grade. In elementary school we only have one.more.left. One more "first day" then we'll be graced with middle school.
We have family prayer, morning and night, Nathan wanted to say it today. So this morning, he prayed for all of his friends and family starting school today. He prayed for Spike, our cat, to help her not be *lonely* today. (If you've read my posts on Spike, I guarantee she doesn't get lonely. She gets destructive when left alone.) He even prayed for his brother & sister's dog (@ their mom's house), so he wouldn't be lonely. He prayed that we would be proud of him this year. He also prayed for his sister's car, to provide her with safety through the school year. Then he prayed for his brother's football season. That he would be "blessed beyond measure with safety from any injury." When did he grow up and learn to pray like that?
Then we were off to the bus stop. My heart hurt. A good hurt. A growing hurt. An unavoidable hurt. They grow up, there is no stopping it. I would just really like a pause button. Heck, a slow down button. At the bus stop he was TALLER than all the fifth graders! He is huge, no denying it. I'm 5'9" and he's up to my shoulders. I sometimes miss the little toddler that would crawl up in my lap and we would just cuddle in the rocker. Nowadays cuddling (which he still loves!) must occur on the couch.
Ty started high school this year. Princess J is a junior. I know He truly listens to our prayers when we pray for healthy children. I know this because He continues to bless us with each new day he allows us to be together as a family.
All I can think of is if my heart hurts this much this year; what will next year bring?

What cute boys you have!
ReplyDelete=)
It will bring growth and even more pain. But it's a good hurt, like you said.
ReplyDeleteGlad you posted today. I lost my ENTIRE blogroll!