Wednesday, July 14, 2010

All the training is worth it...

...when you see your family waiting at the finish line cheering you on.  Knowing you will soon have 26.2 miles behind you, and you did it.  Every.single.mile.  All by yourself.  There is no cheating in the game of running.  You either have it in you or you don't.  To me, speed does not matter...only your endurance. 

I've been running since I was 13, I immediately fell in love with it while conditioning for cheer & soccer.  I've been hooked ever since.  For the last 10 years I've tried to run a full or half each year.  This year we're making it a family event and having a vacation around it...I can't wait! 

My non-running friends all have the same question, "Why another one?"  My answer is almost always, "Why not?"  For those of my blogging friends that have completed one you know what I'm talking about.  It's not for the finishers medal at the end, it is for the thrill of being in the herd of people...waiting for your group's turn to start.  Running with a pacer (or not, I prefer not), the anticipation of being on the look-out for your family at random mile points so they can yell your name.  (Seeing them is all it takes to get a shot of energy, almost like a gu shot hits you.)  It's amazing.

 For those who have always wanted to do one, I KNOW you have it in you.  If you're doing one in the KC area I would love to cheer you on.  Just remember, it all starts with one.single.mile!  Slowly and safely adding to it.  You can do it!  After all, you're only running one mile...26 times.

I found this quote and I think it sums up my feelings towards the ever daunting question presented to me of "why"...

"To describe the agony of a marathon to someone who has never run it is like trying to explain color to someone who was born blind."~Jerome Drayton.

5 comments:

  1. I've run two half marathons and while it about ruined my knees it was very exhilarating. It is a unique experience. I think I can say though that I've tried that and I'm okay not doing it again...at least not for now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is NOTHING like running a marathon. Except maybe childbirth. Really. I've run two, and although my hips are shot and I don't think I'll ever run another, I can always hope.
    What's your expected time? I'm sure you beat me. I'm old and a tortoise to boot.
    But I ALWAYS finish.
    Good luck!
    I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always admire people who can do this. And I know I will never be one of them.

    Thanks for representin' for all of us who just don't, can't or won't go there!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The farthest run I've ever managed to do was a 10K and I thought that was pretty tough. I have the desire to run, run, run but my body keeps telling me no, no, no. Maybe it's age, or body make-up. I haven't figured it out. I just know the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. I applaud you and admire what you are doing. Way to go!!! I would happily stand on the sideline and cheer for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That quote couldn't be closer to the truth! So many of my friends thought that, once I ran my first marathon in January, that was it. They all think I'm crazy for doing two more this year. I just can't explain it to someone who doesn't run. Thanks so much for the visit to my blog. I'll be cheering you on to your next one!

    ReplyDelete

Happy thoughts from my friends